July 1, 2020
A traditional Greek dish, Spanikopita (“spinach pie”) is a savory pie made with feta, onions, spinach, and phyllo dough. Let your family and friends think you’re a master chef with this easy but impressive dish! This Spanikopita melds the flavors of salty feta, sweet spinach, and bright lemon flavors to give you a recipe you’ll want to make for every potluck!
Prep Time: 45 minutes – Cook Time: 45 minutes – Total Time: 90 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach, vinegar, and salt, then cook until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Let the wilted spinach cool and drain any excess moisture by squeezing over acolander. In a bowl, stir spinach with eggs, feta, and Greek Tzatziki Seasoning.
- Prepare a 9”x13” baking dish by coating the bottom and sides with olive oil. Layer two sheets of phyllo dough then generously brush with olive oil, repeatuntil 2/3 of the phyllo dough is used. (Note: Phyllo dough can dry out quickly, keep the unused dough covered with a damp cloth or work quickly.)
- Spread all the feta and spinach filling into the pan in an even layer.
- Continue to layer the phyllo sheets two at a time, brushing with olive oil until all the dough is used up.
- Make sure the edges of the phyllo dough are coated with olive oil, fold over any excess dough.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until phyllo is golden and flaky. Enjoy!